Bloglovin'

Sunday 13 September 2015

City of the South: Charleston

Finally a blog post! I wrote this during my time in South Carolina, and have finally got around to uploading it.

I've been living here in South Carolina for nearly 3 months now, and recently had the opportunity to visit one of the well known cities of the South, Charleston.

It's previously been ranked as one of the friendliest cities in the US, and having been to Savannah already, I was expecting the same sort of vibe.

I couldn't have been more wrong.
Charleston Church

Charleston sits on it own in terms of culture and let me tell you, it's one of the best cities I've ever visited.

Charleston stole my heart, from the vibrant shopping scene on Kings Street, to the tranquil views of the Atlantic ocean from the marina and downtown. Charleston oozes southern charm in every crevice. 
The buildings look quaint with the typical porches and rocking chairs. The brightly coloured, carribean style mansions near the bottom of the city provide picturesque promenade walk views. All I could vision whilst walking by the water was myself sitting on the balcony in a rocking chair, watching the sunset and boats go past.

Waterfront Promenade


Of course, this city has had its fair share of devastation, which I found out whilst walking past the church that was struck by the horrible shootings this year. Every part of the pavement outside was filled with flowers, something I find so ironic. How there can be so much love outside a place where one person walked in with so much hatred.

Southern Style House
Charleston still however retains its vibrancy and beauty. It's a college town, so along with high street shops, you'll find college outfitters which is a great place to pick up an actual american college tshirt. 
Eating wise, you'll find everything from Mediterranean and oriental inspired cuisine, fast food, local eateries and of course south style cuisine.

If you ever visit the South, make sure you try corn bread and hush puppies! They are a delicacy.



My time in Charleston was short but sweet, and very rarely do I leave a city with sadness about not knowing the next time you will visit. To experience the beauty of the USA, make sure Charleston is on your list of places to visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment