Bloglovin'

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Why You Shouldn't Care What Anybody Else Thinks

It came to my attention this week that I started to worry about what people were thinking of me everytime I did something.

I always thought I was the type of person who didn't care what people thought about me, but it wasn't until I actually realised that I was trying to justify doing something that made me realise I am caring what people think of me.

And then I thought why?

Why am I so concerned about the opinion's of others when it doesn't actually matter. To put it into some contexts, I worry about the slightest things such as whether I should go to the gym, or not wanting to go on a night out but stay in instead.

The gym situation has only started happening recently, when I lost a lot of weight (unintentionally) and suddenly I felt conscious exercising in public.

At the time, I was going to the gym at least once a week, and suddenly I started worrying that every time someone would see me in the gym they might think I was overexercising because of an eating disorder. The main reason for going is a) get my money's worth and b) it makes me feel good.

Another situation was choosing to stay in whilst everyone else was going out, which I then thought would make me look boring. So I forced myself to go out and pretend I wanted to be there. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I do want to go out and I have a really good time, and these are the best nights out. But sometimes, especially in final year of university, I just want to stay in
and have some me-time, that's just how I am.

So when I tried to justify why I was so concerned about what others were thinking, I couldn't think of a reason why.

Everyone on this planet is an individual, whose into different things, looks differently, reacts differently, it's just natural.
So by worrying that others might not think the same way as you is silly and I am so fustrated with myself for even letting it get to me.
And that's when I knew I had to stop caring.

Suddenly, I started doing the things I wanted and not having to explain why I am doing them. If people wonder why, then that's their problem. Besides, curiosity is a human trait so I don't blame them for wondering why. It was hard at first but it's just one of those things we have to overcome.

But the thing that really stopped me from caring is the fact that they probably aren't thinking about what I'm doing or how I look. It's me overreacting and being paranoid.

And therefore, worrying about something thats unknown is not worth it.

So I guess my advice is the next time you worry what others think, ask yourself, do I care? Do they care? Probably not.
And do I want to do this or am I scared that if I don't, others may judge (but probably won't)?
 Just a little thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment