Bloglovin'

Thursday 13 July 2017

Has Travelling Changed Me?

It is often preconceived that once you go travelling, it changes who you are.

This is true to a certain extent but some people think this change is a bad thing. This is not necessarily true. Without a doubt, travelling to completely new place, meeting the local people and trying new things will change you. However, since returning home from 4 months in South East Asia, I don't believe I have changed, rather my perspective has.



Naturally, seeing poverty for yourself and not just on some daytime TV ad is a real learning experience. Trying to understand the history of the countries I have visited is fascinating. 

Sometimes, learning about a countries past can affect you. Whilst I was in Cambodia, I was reading a book called 'Cambodia's Curse' by Joel Brinkley, and I was shocked about how little I knew surrounding the tragic history of this country. For those who don't know, Cambodia experienced it's own genocide not too long ago. The Khmer Rouge killed up to 2 million Cambodians through labour camps and mass executions. Learning about the dark history was horrifying, and after that day I realised how incredibly lucky I am to be living in a society where my human rights are not taken away from me. Now, I try and look at life in a different way, and appreciate how lucky I am to live in a country with so many opportunities.


Even looking at the local workers in countries such as Indonesia makes me realise how thankful I am to have access to a world-renowned education system, where my level of education doesn't depend on the amount of money my family has, and my career choices are numerous.



So of course, experiences like that can change your perspective. 

In fact I am grateful to have had the opportunity to realise that I was taking life for granted.

I think travelling also prevents me from becoming narrow-minded. It is so easy to become so comfortable living in your small town, with your small group friends and the same routine. Travelling makes me realise that there is a big wide world out there, which is so different from the life I live and has so many opportunities.

Have you ever considered doing a working visa in Australia or New Zealand? Or how about looking for a job in Ho Chi Minh? There is no written rule saying you have to live your entire life in the country you were born. There is so much more to life than finding a partner, getting married and having a baby, something I often feel pressured to do at home.



I am more open-minded after travelling. I realise how nice it is to have a clean, western toilet or my own bed. How comforting a decent cup of tea can be. How there's more to life than going on holiday to get drunk when you can talk to the locals, find out about their religion and their traditions.

As for family and friends, I don't think I have changed around them. I have met so many people whilst in Asia, but I can still go back to my hometown friends and be exactly the same as I was before. Travelling doesn't change your personality. It just means I have more stories to tell over a bottle of wine.



On a final note, I do think I have become much more of an interesting person. I now have friends based all around the world (thank you facebook), and I also have so many stories to tell which is definitely a positive thing. If I met someone who had travelled the world, that's automatically something different about them that I would love to know more about.

The next time you meet someone who has travelled, listen to their stories. You might just be inspired to travel yourself. That's all for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment