Bloglovin'

Friday 10 April 2015

Disney HHI: Visa Appointment

Today was finally visa day! 

My appointment at the London embassy was at 11.30am, however I made sure I got to London in plenty of time as the queue outside is notorious for being long. I got to Bond Street station at around 10.30am and made the short walk to Grosvenor Square. It's easy to spot the embassy, just look for the queue! 
So I joined the queue just after half 10 even though my appointment wasn't for another hour because they don't really care what time it is at this point as there are so many people.

The queue moves quickly, just make sure you have all your documents to hand. These will be checked about 5 times! Also, there will be so many other people there for Camp America etc so not everyone there is for Disney (which I thought so I went up to randomers asking about disney, embarrassing!)
Once you're through security, which is basically airport style, you will be given a ticket and directed to a waiting room with an Argos style number system that directs you to a window. As it was very busy when I was there, I waited for around half an hour, but the time depends on the amount of people there.

Once called, you go up to a window where they check your documents again! Here they take your finger and thumb prints, so no papercuts! They also ask about reading your rights or something similar, although I couldn't understand the lady very well.

Once this is completed, you walk through to another room and visit another window more or less straight away. This is where you have your interview and your documents are checked for the final time. The questions are easy, just what you are doing, how did you find out about it etc. The stamp of approval is then issued and you are free to go! Your documents and passport are kept and sent back via courier.

Overall I was in and out within an hour and there really is nothing to be afraid of. For some reason I was nervous but it was very relaxed and really not a lot of hassle, as long as you have all the correct documents.
A few tips I would give are:

- Bring supporting documents just in case, like flight confirmations, offer letter. They only checked my passport, DS-2019, DS-160, and I-901 form but it's better to be safe then sorry. 
- Bring a visa size passport photo. You may or may not need it but if you do then you will need to hand it in. 
- Phones, keys and bags are allowed in now. I took the bare minimum just in case but they seem to be a bit more relaxed about it. Although it changes regularly so do check before you go!
- Getting there earlier means you will be out earlier, so more time for shopping!

So not a complicated process and now I can legally work in the US!
Currently all flights have been booked so all that's left is medical insurance, American sim card, travel insurance and to start packing! It's all feeling very real now, and I'm flying to New York on May 30th for a few days before flying to Hilton Head Island! 

No comments:

Post a Comment